3/12/08

North Alabama Whitewater Festival 2008

I always look forward to NAWF every year, and this year as the rest was no disappointment. NAWF is a grass roots style whitewater contest and festival and is the first in the North American Pro Circuit. It features a freestyle waterfall contest and head to head boatercross off of short creek falls, a throwdown style rodeo at King's hole of the Locust Fork, and a big party involving video premiers, camping, food, music, and all the Terrapin beer you can drink at King's Bend in Locust Fork, Alabama!



picture by Billy Harris

Honestly, I was a little nervous about competing since I've been creeking all season and have only been in my playboat a couple of times since Gauley Fest, but I had to come out anyway and represent for the 'bama boys. Due to recent rains, this was the highest water level in NAWF's history and Short Creek offered no mercy for competitors. Everybody was chundered at least once and a few were even pulled behind the curtain and beat down like a red headed step child. It really made every body think twice about how big they really wanted to go. I had to change my game plan a little bit, but ended up happily placing 4th. With a sore shoulder and short boat I opted not to race in the boatercross.


picture by Austin Guthery


Saturday we woke up to find the campground and tents covered in snow, which is rare in Alabama, so the contest ended up getting pushed back to the afternoon. I ended up not making finals, but learned what I need to work on playboating wise. For full results click here: http://www.nawfest.net/

picture by Austin Guthery




The party was fun as usual, with plenty of entertainment. I got to listen to some cool music, see some new videos such as Night of the Living Donkey, and then there were the raffles, food, and beer and I was also able to catch up with old friends and new ones alike.

I ended the weekend with an after noon run with Effort Production's Spencer Cooke on the pristine Little River Canyon at a stellar level of 8 inches. It was an awesome way to end a great weekend and to celebrate the return of spring.

Props to the event organizers, volunteers, and sponsors!!!

For full results and more event coverage check out: http://www.nawfest.net/

Until next time,
-Charlie Mix

No comments: