11/8/10

Weekend Shenanigans




We had an amazing weekend down here in WNC with Green Race, Cheoah Release and Catalochee opening. Sadly enough decisions had to be made so that kayaking fun could continue even though I would to love to have been at 3 places at one. I must say it is great to be back in WNC. When it finally became friday the 5th the choice was made to head to the Cheoah River in Robbinsville, NC which is where the old homestead is. So we headed to the put-in after waking up bright and early to around an inch of snow on the ground. So with a rallied up crew and the creek and playboats loaded. The first run was from the top down and turned out to be quite awesome with some epic carnage. My friend Lindsay charged ahead at Yardsale which is one of the last rapids and has a large hole and undercut off to the side of the hole. As he hit the hole I watched the first windowshade happen and then I decided the meat was not going to be the line to go for currently so i hit the double boof on the right and proceeded to try and grab his stern out of the hole but couldn't reach. However he kept riding it out and after going end over end unintentionally cartwheeling and hitting some enders for around a minute Lindsay finally wound up flushing out of the hole to my cheers cause it was pretty epic. We also had the fortune of kayaking in the snow in November which also made water feel really warm. So after getting to the lake we got back to the car to fire up the playboy run. Then after a successful playboat run the day was over and we concluded the last scheduled release of the Cheoah River for the year. Then it was time to go out for the night and continue the fun. After a night of fun it was a bit of rest before bucking up for the Sunday Special. We went out for a little Clay Wright park and huck special at Dupont National Forest. We hit up the Little River's 2nd drop of Triple Drop. It was quite bony but it still went! Second drop has two lines a center and a left line. I tried for the center line and came off line after my second left stroke which threw me off line and I wound up sideways but was able to keep the boat under me and ride it out boofing way bigger then necessary for this size drop. However even with the unplanned boof and not so as planned line I came out with only a pulled lat. Now I am resting it up for a couple of days and then its time to go run something this coming weekend. Hope everyone also had amazing weekends and awesome lines! Peace Paul

No comments: