10/14/11

Solo

Often the friendship and camaraderie that come with the sport of kayaking is over looked. This was hit home during a recent solo paddling trip that I went on to the west coast. Although it was a great trip and I was able to meet up and paddle with friends along the way, the alone time when camping and hanging out made for maybe hard trip but definitely a different paddling trip experience. The biggest thing I found with my solo trip was that I spent way more money and only had only had myself to bounce ideas off of to decide what to do. This was both a nuisance and a blessing in that I could do what I wanted, but I also made some decisions that in hindsight were pretty dumb. I suggest that everybody tries going on a solo trip, but also enjoy the great times and the camaraderie that goes along with the quintessential paddling trip.

Peter Thompson

No comments: